Sunday, January 31, 2010

Math Tutor


Archive Notice:
This is an archived version of the emailed newsletter: “Updates!” All contact info has been deleted for privacy sake. If you need information on any of the events/items posted on this blog please email ccheupdates@gmail.com for further information.

COPPER COUNTRY HOME EDUCATORS UPDATES
MATH TUTOR
Hello Folks,

I'm not sure who you are, excepting Chris, but I am Matt and I would like to offer my services as a math tutor to anyone in the home schooling community who is interested. I wanted to get this set up sooner, but my schedule hasn't settled down into a steady pattern until now. So here is what/when/where and why:

I can teach mathematics (any level),computer science (any level), physics, and chemistry. I am currently working with a 10 year old on adding fractions (wink @ Chris) and 45 college freshmen in Calculus. I am comfortable teaching anything lower, higher, or in between those two levels. I could do some physics and chemistry stuff as well, but my physics would probably be nonstandard and my chem is pretty rusty.

Right now I can be available Mondays and Wednesdays from 3 to 5 in the afternoon and perhaps by appointment on Fridays (depending on what my wife says). The first hour of each session is technically reserved for my Calculus students, so they would get my attention first- but this shouldn't be a problem as they rarely show up anyway. I am thinking that I will take up residence in the Tech library for the sessions- probably on the second floor in one of the reservable study rooms. It won't be the same room every time, but I can update a webpage or email students my location- or they can just come looking, its not a very big building.

And the why... Mostly I just enjoy teaching people who are interested in learning. But also, it seems to me that the public schools are destroying our collective will to learn and love of knowledge- even really good public schools like Houghton High seem to have this problem. Thats just my take, though. I like teaching mathematics because it encourages (demands, really) critical thinking, but it does not have any political connotation or anything. So yes, I would like to influence people with my teaching, but not in any specific direction- I just want to give them better tools for thinking about problems. Volunteering constitutes doing something rather than just talking about all this, so here we are.

I hope to hear from you all soon! Please spread the word to anyone who might be interested- home schoolers or not, kids or adults, it doesn't matter to me.

Best wishes,

-Matt
Matthew (withheld for archive)

--
CCHE does not pass on emails/addresses/names from any of our mailing lists (electronic or snail mail) to any other groups, organizations or individuals.